4 Route 1. CHALON. From Paris
Farther E. is the church of St. Michael, with a facade in which
the Gothic and Renaissance styles are strangely combined, conse¬
crated in 1529. — * Notre Dame (N. of the Palais), consecrated
in 1445, possessing a peculiar unfinished portico of the 13th cent.,
is more purely Gothic. — The principal church is that of * St. Be-
nigne (S. of the Porte Guillaume), which has undergone frequent
restoration, with portal of the 10th cent. In the vicinity are
St. Philibert, of the 12th cent., and St. Jean, consecrated in 1458,
the latter now disfigured by modern paintings.
The Castle (N. of the Porte Guillaume), now in a half-ruined
condition, was erected by Louis XI. (in 1478—1512), after the
union of Burgundy with France. It was subsequently employed
as a state-prison. — Pursuing the same direction round the town
the stranger next reaches the bronze Statue of St. Bernhard (born
in 1091 at Fontaine lez Dijon), erected in 1847; round the pe¬
destal are celebrated contemporaries.
The town contains a number of picturesque buildings of the
Renaissance period, especially interesting to architects. The old
ramparts have been converted into promenades.
The line to Macon crosses the Ouche and the Canal de
Bourgogne (p. 2), and skirts the base of the sunny vineyards
of the Cote d'Or, which extend almost the entire distance from
Dijon to Chalon and produce the choicest qualities of the Bur¬
gundy wines (Chambertin, Clos de Beze, Clos de Vougeot, Ro¬
mance, Tdche, Nuits, Beaune, etc.). To the r. of stat. Corgoloin
is the village of Aloxe, another well-known wine-producing place
(Corton, Charlemagne, Clos du Roi). Stat. Beaune, with 11,000
inhab. , on the Bouzoise, contains several Gothic edifices and
a monument of the mathematician Monge, who was born here in
1747 (d. 1818).
Stat. Meursault. From stat. Chagny a branch-line diverges
by Le Creuzot to Nevers. The line passes under the Canal du
Centre, which connects the Saone and the Loire, by means of a
tunnel, intersects the Col de Chagny, and enters the valley of the
Thalie. Stat. Fontaines.
Chalon-sur-Sadne (Trois Faisans; Hotel du Chevreuil; Hotel
de I'Europe), with 19,000 inhab., the Cabillonum of the Romans,
is situated at the junction of the Canal du Centre with the Saone,
which is here navigated by steamboats (to Lyons in 5__6 hrs.).
The town contains little to detain the traveller. The early Go¬
thic Cathedral, recently restored, exhibits the transition to that
style from the Romanesque. (The express trains do not touch
Chalon, the branch line to which diverges from the junction
The line follows the r. bank of the Saone; to the 1. jn the
distance the Jura is visible; to the r. in clear weather the snowv
summit of Mont Blanc, 150 M. distant. Stat. Tournus (5500 inh b 1
possesses a fine abbey-church (St. Philibert). a •>