2 Route 1.
and affords a number of delightful walks. (For farther delails see
Beedeker's Pat is.)
Next stat. Thomery, celebrated for its luscious grapes (Chas-
selas de Fontainebleau). The forest is quitted here. Stat. Moret,
a venerable town on the Loing, which heie falls into the Seine,
possesses a Gothic church of the 13th cent, and a ruined chateau
once occupied by Sully. (Railway hence to Nemours, Gien, Ne-
vers, and Roanne.)
The line crosses the valley of the Loing by a viaduct of
30 arches. Stat. St. Mamm'es; then Montereau (Grand Monurque),
pictuiesquely situated at the confluence of the Seine and Yonne.
Here on Feb. lbth, li>14, Napoleon gained his last victoiy over
the Allies and the Prince of Wiirtembeig. (Branch line to Flam-
boin, stat. on the Paris and Troyes line.)
The tiain ascends the broad and well cultivated valley of the
Yonne. Stat. Villeneuve-lu-Guiard, Pont-sur-Yonne. Sens (Hotel
de I'Ecu), the ancieiu capital of the benones, who under Brennus
plundered Rome (B.C. 390j, the Agedincum oi the Romans, is
now a quiet and clean town with 11,000 inhab. The early Go¬
thic * Cathedral (St. Etienne) dates from the 12th cent.; magni¬
ficent S. Portal in the Flamboyant style. The episcopal vestments
and other relics of Thomas a Becket, who sought an asylum at
Sena in 1164, are shown.
The following stations are Villeneuve-sur-Yonne, St. Julien du
Sault, Cezy. Joigny (Due de Bourgogne), the Joviniacum of the
Romans, is a picturesque and ancient town (6000 inhab.) on the
Yonne. Next stat. La Roche.
From La Roche by a branch line in 52 min. to Auxerre (Hdtel du Leo¬
pard) , capital (13,000 inhab.) ot the Department of the Yonne , possessing
several good churches, especially the late Gothic cathedral. Chabtis , well
known for its wines, lies between Auxerre and Tonnerre (see below),
13'j2 M. to the E. of the former.
Near La Roche the line crosses the Yonne, into which the
Armancon here empties itself, and follows the latter liver and
the Canal de Bourgogne, connecting the Seine and Saone.
About 6 M. from St. Florentin is the Cistercian Abbey of
Ponligny, where Thomas a Becket passed two year» of his exile.
Langton, archbishop of Canterbury, banished by John, and other
English prelates have also sought a retreat within its walls.
Tonnerre (Lion d'Or; *Rail. Restaurant), pictuiesquely situ¬
ated on the Armancon, a town with 5000 inhab., possesses a monu¬
ment to the minister Louvois (d. 1691). The church oi St. Pierre
on an eminence above the town , commands a pleasing prospect.
Stat. Tanlay possesses a fine chateau in the Renaissance
style, founded by the brother of Admiral Coligny, the chief victim
of St. Bartholomew's Night, who with the Prince de Conde' and
other Huguenot leaders held meetings in one of the apaitments
Then a tunnel, 540 yds. in length; bridge over the Armancon-